Green Job Descriptions, Job Related Websites, & More Resources
The future of green earth friendly jobs looks to be incredibly promising as the country moves closer to sustainable supplies of energy in a green manner and other major eco movements. Sustainable jobs are quite diverse and not all require a specified college degree. Do you have a passion or skills for gardening, marketing, traveling, animals and wildlife, the ocean, landscaping, or the earth and soil? Hop down to #10 on the list to find an amazing array of earth-friendly careers. These are the top categories where you can find an earth-friendly career:
- Business and Administration
- Environmental Protection
- Recycling and Waste Management
- Renewable Energy
Earth friendly careers in science, humanities, politics, and economics all fall under the sustainable eco-friendly banner and promote environmental protection and social responsibility in a profitable manner.
ECO FRIENDLY JOB DESCRIPTIONS (parts of this list were summarized from Novoresume).
CATEGORY: Environmental Protection
#1. Environmental scientists and experts examine and find solutions to environmental issues. For example, some environmental scientists and professionals work to restore polluted lands and streams. They spend most of their time in offices or laboratories, but part of the job can be fieldwork as well.
Annual salary: an average of $71,130.
Education level required: For entry-level positions, Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, biology, chemistry, engineering, or any related field.
#2. Environmental Law: a demanding and complex field of study. This is a sector of law that requires a highly specialized appreciation of environmental issues. You will get the chance to bring a change in attitudes and policies that affect sustainability issues.
Annual salary: an average of $ 113,530
Education level required: Bachelor’s of Law
#3. Zoology: Zoologists are biologists who research animal species. Their typical duties include analyzing the human impact on wildlife and carrying out conservation plans to protect them.
- Maintenance and care for animals- good for wildlife lovers.
- Zoologists work in different zoological parks, aquariums, state agencies, and laboratories.
Annual salary: an average of $73,331.
Education level required: Bachelor’s degree in zoology, wildlife biology, ecology, or a related field.
#4. Refuse Materials Collection: refuse materials (also known as garbage) collectors, pick up the trash and recyclables of a city. They drive garbage trucks and use the hydraulic lift to pick up the bins. Openings are available in both the private and public sectors.
Annual salary: an average of $36,160.
Education level required: No education.
#5. Recycling Coordination: Recycling coordinators are similar to refuse materials collectors. Their job is to oversee the recycling collection process, in order to optimize efficiency. Other duties include managing the operations budget and designing waste management programs.
Annual salary: an average of $51,713.
Education level required: No education
#6. Hazardous Materials Work: finding, packing, and disposing of hazardous materials. These include waste oil, fuel, contaminated soil, etc. Working conditions depend on what material is being cleaned. The job requires long hours and night shifts and weekends are very common.
Annual salary: an average of $45,500
Education level required: On-the-job training
CATEGORY: Renewable Energy
#7. Solar Energy: Solar energy careers work in a variety of areas that use engineering to absorb the energy from the sun. This energy is used to generate electricity for homes and buildings, or to heat up water. Solar engineers work on:
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Solar panels
- Solar-powered devices
- Telecommunications and guidance systems
Annual salary: $50,000 to $ 100,000+
Education level required: Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Computer Science, Civil Engineering, or a related field.
#8. Wind Energy: Wind energy is the development and creation of wind farms. Wind energy engineers build, manufacture, and install wind turbines and collector structures for wind farms. The job is mainly done in offices, a laboratory or manufacturing plants, depending on the type of work. Different careers include:
Annual salary: an average of $96,980.
Education level required: Bachelor’s degree in energy engineering, manufacturing engineering, or a related field. Many jobs require a graduate’s degree or doctorate.
CATEGORY: Sustainable Transportation
The transportation sector accounts for 30% of the total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. Sustainable transport has emerged as an alternative solution because it uses renewable energy to power up vehicles.
#9. Transportation Management: handle the execution, management, and cooperation of all transport issues inside an organization.
- Transportation managers mainly work in towns and cities.
Annual salary: an average of $91,710.
Education level required: Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, logistics, or a related field.
#10. More Earth-Friendly Careers Definitions with Links
- Agroforester – sustainable agriculture.
- Air Quality Forecaster – examine pollution levels and air impact.
- Aquarist – marine life care.
- Aquatic Biologist – work in wetlands and study ecosystems.
- Biofuel Production Operator -biofuel factory management.
- Chemical Engineer -design and monitor manufacturing processes that involve chemical reactions.
- Director Sustainability – oversee corporate sustainable regulation compliance.
- Ecotourism Guide – organizes environmental traveling.
- Energy Manager -determine the best ways to conserve energy on existing and future projects.
- Environmental Public Relations Specialist – present pollution education programs to the public.
- Geophysical Engineer -study mining sites.
- Geoscientist -study the way the earth functions.
- Hydrographic Surveyor -gather various data points for map-making purposes.
- Landscape Architect -blend science and art to determine how to deal with the relationships between the built and natural environments.
- Nuclear Engineer -numerous tasks in nuclear plants.
- Petroleum Engineer -make production and oil extraction less costly
- Petrologist -understanding the origin, makeup, structure, and distribution of different rocks.
- Soil Conservation Technician -assist soil conservationists in the implementation of complete resource management system plans.
- Sustainability Program Coordinator -design, and implement an organization’s sustainability program.
- Sustainability Specialist -devising ways of saving money and suggesting schemes to move an organization forward with green credentials.
- Turf Scientist -ground keeping specialists.
- Water Resource Engineer -management and assessment of the quantity and quality of above-ground and below-ground water sources.
- Watershed Manager – management of all water supplies, effective drainage, flood mitigation & other water rights, and ecology.
- Watershed Science Technician -work in water or wastewater treatment plants
- Wetland Specialist -preservation of the world environment
- Wind Energy Engineer -experts who design and improve wind farms
- Zoning Technician -assistant Land Use Planners by assuring current land plans are legal, safe, and environmentally friendly
Earth Friendly Job Search Websites
- Green Jobs Network (Website, LinkedIn, & Facebook)
- Conservation Job Board
- Dayaway Careers
- Earthworks Jobs
- Earth Justice
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Environmental Career Opportunities (ECO)
- Environmental Career
- Green Biz
- Green Career Central
- Green Dream Jobs
- Green Jobs Network (U.K. and Ireland)
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- Renewable Energy Business Network
- Sustainable Business
- The Nature Conservancy
- U.S. Green Building Council
#greenjobs #climateaction #climatechange #cleanenergy #jobs #sustainability #solarenergy #justtransition #saveplanetearth #greenbusiness #reducereuserecycle #renewableenergy #cleanjobs #greeningusa #unenvironment #sustainablelivingtips #responsibleproduction #greenconscious #windenergy #netzero #cleanenergyjobs #remoov #tlf #ecojobs #ecocareers