Secondhand Gifts For Everyone
For most of us, shopping is an enjoyable endeavor. But it seems that during the holidays, the pressure and demand of gift-giving takes its toll on us- mentally, financially, as well as environmentally.
To mitigate some of this stress, we are offering a practical solution that relieves the hassle of going to multiple locations, takes some of the strain off your wallet, and helps the environment all at the same time. How is this miracle achieved you ask? Through the art of shopping secondhand!
Sustainable: We have interchanged the word sustainable with eco-friendly, green, etc., but sustainable really means to maintain at a certain rate or level. In relation to our precious world, it means that there is a distinct way that the item benefits the environment; it is tenable, long-lasting, i.e. not harmful or adding to the already overwhelming garbage situation in our country. None of us want to consciously contribute to the unnecessary waste that happens this time of year.
Trucks line up at an incinerator in the US where rubbish burning is often the only option
A few points about our garbage handling in the US:
- Americans produce 3x’s the global average of waste, including plastic and food.
- Recycling: America lags behind other countries, only re-using 35% of solid waste.
- US citizens produce 1,704lbs per head of population, roughly 12% of the global total.
- With more than eight times as many people as we have, China and India manage to produce only twice the amount of garbage as the US.
You can find many sustainable gift giving guides nowadays, but they are still primarily offering NEW products, which nonetheless use resources such as raw materials, man-power, transportation and fuel costs that add up to a footprint that causes some distress to our environment.
Before we move on to the heart and art of secondhand, here are a few additional meaningful and sentimental gifts that can be custom made from home and have little to no impact on the environment.
- Date Night Grab Bag – this is a fun gift for couples. Gather a few dozen amusing, romantic, inspiring, and personalized ideas for you and your partner to experience on a weekly ‘date night’; write out on small cards and present in a pretty container.
- Framed Quote – pick out a meaningful famous, or obscure if that fits better, quote, write it out in elegant font, and mount in a picture frame.
- Book of Letters – this can be for anyone on your list, partner, child, relative, or friend. Write several short letters (not more than 2-3 paragraphs) – can include jokes, important memories, and words of praise & inspiration. Add photos or other keepsakes too, and put together in book format.
Now shopping second hand might come with a certain preconception of being too shabby or imperfect to share as gifts. Nothing could really be further from the truth. Not only is buying secondhand pragmatic, but it is also a constructive way to share your values with your loved ones, making gift-giving that much more meaningful. Plus, the world of secondhand shopping these days is filled with high-quality, like-new items that cover every category you could be interested in:
- Decor & art
- Vintage Jewelry- unique one of a kind pieces
- Outdoor equipment
What a way to go sustainable for the holidays! Ethical, cost-effective, unique, and eco-friendly while taking care of everyone on your holiday shopping list.
Some tips for your second hand shopping adventure include looking at online markets such as Ebay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist to name a few of the most popular ones. Antique shops can hold all sorts of funky and time-honored collectables and one-of-kind items that suit that certain someone on your list. Yard sales, flea markets, and thrift stores are also places to comb through and discover that hidden jewel you’d never find in a big chain store.
Another option that is more of a new-comer on the scene and a wonderful place to start your second hand shopping adventure: it’s called The Local Flea, your one-stop shop covering all categories to satisfy young and old alike on your list, filled with hidden gems you’ll fall in-love with and feel proud to give. For those of you living in the Phoenix or Bay Area locations, you can pick-up locally; for others we ship nationwide!
Why The Local Flea?
- Shop online, pick-up locally or delivery available
- All items carefully curated- any issued disclosed, no secrets
- Wide assortment available, from brand names to unique objects & artifacts
- Steep discounts
- Offers accepted
- 7-day returns available
- Secure payment system
With brand names in all our most popular categories, including:
Furniture – by Ashley, Crate & Barrel, IKEA, Kravet, West Elm and more…
Dining Sets – by Ethan Allen, Alcott Hill and more…
Lighting – by Harding Light, Monterey Crafts, Pottery Barn & more…
Appliances – by Kenmoore, LG, Samsung and more…
Electronics – by Apple, Canon, HP, Sharp, Sony and MORE!
It seems safe to say, whatever you might be looking for, from the practical every day name brand to the one-of-a-kind hidden discovery, The Local Flea is the preowned, preloved marketplace to fit all your needs.
The Local Flea is in partnership with Remoov, the revolutionary alternative to junk hauling, estate liquidation, and consignment selling, taking everything that you want to get rid of and selling, donating, or recycling it. At The Local Flea every item is inspected and all issues are disclosed so that you have no surprises with your purchase. And Remoov’s mission is to reduce waste and increase reuse, the core of sustainability in action.
Here are a few items on sale now at The Local Flea to wet your whistle. We look forward to helping you make 2020 a year of sustainable and value conscious gift-giving.
In the “Apparel” category: Hermes Birkin Bag
In the “Furniture” category: French Style Wooden Writing Desk
In the “Decor & Art” category: Print on Wood
In the “Electronics & Tools” category: Sony PlayStation 4 Pro