It’s been proven in study after study, being in nature and getting sunshine every day is instrumental to overall good health and vitality. Since most people still spend a majority of their time near the home base, it makes sense to take a little time to create fantastic outdoor spaces that you can really enjoy. With these eco friendly backyard hacks, you’ll get the how-to guide on setting up the perfect hangout spot in a sustainable fashion. Tips such as installing energy-efficient LED lights and using recycled materials to making simple changes like using less water will help you create an outdoor oasis that is an exemplary model of environmental awareness at home.
Start with this guide HERE on ”How Composting Works & Why It Helps The Earth” to answer your basic composting questions and get you started on the super-easy composting path.
- Composting greatly improves soil fertility for better plant growth in your gardens.
- No need for chemical fertilizers that have negative effects on many systems.
- It’s a great kids activity that will help them learn about growing their own food and using waste at the same time.
Part of making your backyard comfortable and a frequently used space is making sure the furniture is adequate for your family’s needs.
- There are eco-friendly furniture hacks you can implement in DIY furniture projects.
- There are also many eco-friendly furniture brands and companies these days that use sustainable materials like bamboo and recycled plastic.
- Purchasing gently used secondhand furniture would actually be the most eco-friendly option as it keeps items out of the landfill and in circulation for as long as possible. This is part of what’s called a Circular Economy and very important to a sustainable society.
Eco-Friendly Lawn Mowers
Hopefully, you are considering or implementing food gardens and as many native and drought resistant plants as possible in your yard areas as lawns are not the most eco-friendly choices.
- If you do have grass to mow, choosing eco-friendly lawn movers is going to be your best option.
- Reel mowers are the most environmentally friendly choice as they operate on manual power.
- Electric or solar-powered mowers are both great secondary choices.
It doesn’t matter what climate you live in, having a backyard fire pit is a real bonus. Fire fits are focal points for gathering and really enjoying your outdoor area.
- Safety is first. Keep a hose within easy reach for any spur of the moment needs.
- There are many many different types of above ground outdoor fireplaces you can purchase (make sure to choose an eco-friendly option).
- Better yet, build your own.
- Either digging into the ground to make an actual fire pit or building one above ground with some bricks.
- Dig out a shallow 4- to 5-foot-diameter circle; lay a thick layer of gravel level with the ground; next stack large fire bricks or cinder blocks around the edge.
Having a quiet spot in the shade to relax is definitely a piece of heaven in your backyard. Eco-friendly hammocks are such an easy installation make sure to add this in as part of your eco-friendly backyard hacks.
- Eco-friendly brands are probably available at some of your smaller outdoor shops and local garden centers. If not there are many choices online.
- DIY is also easy enough with a canvas drop cloth (approximately 6’ x 9’), a set of grommets, some o-rings, and strands of rope. Watch an online tutorial for the how-to.
One of the easiest ways to make your outdoor space more eco-friendly is to switch to low-voltage LED lights.
- Low voltage deck lighting is much more energy-efficient than traditional incandescent lighting.
- Solar-powered LED lights recharge during the day and provide an abundance of light in the evening.
Native plants are those species that are acclimated to your local soil type and weather; they require minimal water and are low maintenance.
- No fertilizers and yucky chemicals are needed to keep them alive.
- Native plants are an eco-friendly backyard hack and are perfect for an eco-friendly garden.
- Do some quick research on which plant species are native to your area.
- Hopefully, this will be part of your overall xeriscaping plan (discussed below).
Placing rain collecting containers into your backyard is high on the list of making it an eco-friendly and sustainable area.
- This efficient water-saving hack is great for feeding plants and washing vehicles or any outside cleaning projects.
- The CDC explains the limitations of using collected rainwater, but for backyard and outdoor use, it’s excellent.
Raised Garden Beds
Growing your own vegetables, fruit, flowers, herbs, and other edibles is probably the number one way to make your backyard more eco-friendly and sustainable. Planting those gardens in raised beds makes them much easier to manage.
- Easier to keep weeds at bay.
- Great for drainage and keeping soil irrigated.
- You can build your own with just a few pieces of wood 2x4s, some soil, and your compost.
- A depth of 8 to 12 inches is the ideal setup.
- Place some of the garden beds in partial shade and some in direct sunlight so plants with different lighting needs are met.
Xeriscaping uses drought-resistant plants that are native to their region. This minimalist landscaping style cuts watering and irrigation needs and is very favored in areas of regular drought.
- Very little water is needed to survive.
- Xeriscaping can help reduce your water bill.
- This type of landscaping also reduces maintenance time as they are mostly self-reliant.
- Rock gardens are attractive alternatives to thirsty lawns.
- Consider including flowers and native plants that are great sources of pollen and beneficial to bee and butterfly populations.
#backyard #garden #nature #outdoorliving #patio #landscaping #landscape #summer #gardening #home #landscapedesign #design #outdoors #backyarddesign #backyardgarden #flowers #construction #love #backyardoasis #plants #grass #gardeninspiration #homeimprovement #deck #gardendesign #remoov #tlf #ecofriendly #zerowaste #sustainable #sustainability #eco #sustainableliving #handmade #plasticfree #gogreen #nature #environment #savetheplanet #vegan #recycle #green #ecofriendlyproducts #organic #natural #climatechange #reuse #ecofriendlyliving #biodegradable #noplastic #environmentallyfriendly