Everyday Practices to Put into Action
Sustainability attempts to bridge civic engineering with social and environmental science and the technology of the future. When we hear the word “sustainability” we think of renewable fuel sources, reducing carbon emissions, protecting environments, and a way of keeping the delicate ecosystems of our planet in balance. In short, sustainability aims to protect our natural environment, human wellness, and ecological health, while spurring innovation and not compromising our way of life.
What is Sustainability?
The definition of sustainability is the study of how natural systems function, remain diverse and produce everything it needs for the ecology to remain in balance. It also acknowledges that human civilization takes resources to sustain our modern way of life.
Sustainability employs practices that allow us to live in harmony with the natural world while protecting it from damage and destruction. While it focuses on the environment, it also takes into account our health as a society in making sure that no people or areas of life suffer as a result of environmental laws. The goal is to look at long term effects of our actions and study how we can improve.
”If it can’t be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled, or composted, then it should be restricted, designed or removed from production”– Pete Seeger, folk singer & social activist
What is Sustainable Living
Sustainable living is the practice of reducing your demand for natural resources by making sure that you replace what you use to the best of your ability. Sometimes that can mean not choosing to consume a product that is made using practices that don’t promote sustainability, and sometimes it means changing how you do things so that you start becoming more of an active part of the cycle of life.
Sustainable Action Steps
Sustainable living is reducing your need for products made with non-sustainable natural resources. You can make this change by replacing what you currently use with different options, from buying items made from recycled materials (they even make clothes from recycled plastic bottles these days!), to changing how you shop for food (go bulk, bring your own containers and bags), to changing to a mindset of responsibility versus conveyance. We’re going to give you several easily employed action steps below.
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint– A carbon footprint is the amount of carbon dioxide a specific person, or place releases into the atmosphere. Carbon emissions are the main thing driving the devastating greenhouse/climate change affects the world is currently experiencing.
- Less driving – walk, bike, use public transportation.
- Buy fuel saving vehicles, better yet, an eclectic car.
- Shop locally; saves transportation emissions across the world.
- Avoid flying as much as possible, airline fuel is particularly detrimental.
- Use LED lights and turn off whenever not in use; better yet, use SOLAR ENERGY.
- Add many more vegetarian meals to your diet; methane gas and deforestation are a huge impact from cattle farming.
- Reuse as many products as you can; upcycle, recycle, repurpose. Think outside the box.
- Cold water washes for your laundry will save a huge amount of carbon emissions because water needs to be heated (takes more energy).
- Laptop vs a desktop- this change saves 80% in energy usage.
- Forget bottled water! Plastic waste, energy waste, and financial waste. This is one of the easiest changes to make. Use refillable containers and if you don’t like your tap water, install a simple filter.
- Grow some of your own food. This is soul satisfying as well as environmentally friendly and saves you some dinero too.
- And lastly, plant some trees! They offset any carbon emission you produce, they clean the air and will help with our planet’s deforestation.
Sustainable Lifestyle Options
Sharing here some innovative, caring, and responsible practices to move towards a more green i.e. sustainable lifestyle.
- Switch your household cleaners to biodegradable choices.
- If you have the option, dry your clothes outside versus the clothes dryer.
- Support your local small businesses instead of opting for huge commercial chains, many needing to ship your purchases across the nation.
- Change any paper products you use (napkins, paper towels, toilet paper,etc.) to those made from recycled material which is widely available these days.
- Compost or reduce food waste. Check out these 31 cool and easy ways to reduce food waste.
- Get rid of junk mail. This service will help you.
- Educate yourself and the community: while you are taking steps to go green, be an inspiration for the rest of the people and let your actions speak for yourself.
Local Sustainable Business
One such sustainable and consciously minded business in the Phoenix and Bay areas is called Remoov. This full service decluttering and upcycling company takes all unwanted belongings off your hands, and then sells, donates, or recycles those unwanted items on your behalf. On average, about 50% of the items Remoov picks up are collected for resale, 20% for donation, and 30% responsible disposal.
Remoov’s resale outlet, The Local Flea, is a warehouse sized consignment store that is a recycling and environmentally conscious organization, helping those who are downsizing, reorganizing- closing storage units or offices- as well as estate sellers, profit from items they no longer want, as well as providing donations to non-profit organizations. In the end, they are keeping reusable items out of our landfills.
The Local Flea is more than a consignment store: every purchase contributes to their mission of sustainability.
To put your new sustainable practices into action, when you are looking for a place to donate clothes, or a tv recycling option, where to give used toys, or looking for help in picking up old appliances in your area, or thinking of dumping your furniture, take a look at Remoov, and the full range of services they offer and let us help you, help us all, make changes toward a more sustainable community lifestyle.
#sustainablelifestyle #fightclimatechange #wastefree #ecoconscious #sustainabledevelopment #reducewaste #climateaction #sustainablity #sustainable #sustainableliving #sustainablelifestyle #fightclimatechange #wastefree #ecoconscious #sustainabledevelopment #reducewaste #climateaction #sustainablity #sustainable